1. In a large bowl add all dried fruits &nuts. Pour bourbon or rum over fruit and nuts. Toss. Let stand 2 to 3 hours,stirring occasionally. 2. Measure remaining ingredients into large mixing bowl. beat at medium speed until blended; beat at high speed 3 minutes,scraping bowl occasionally. 3. Stir fruit mixture into batter.
- 1 How do you make a dry fruit cake moist?
- 2 What alcohol is best for fruit cake?
- 3 How do you keep fruit cake moist?
- 4 How do you pack a fruit cake?
- 5 Why did my fruit cake turn out dry?
- 6 How long do you need to soak fruit in alcohol?
- 7 How do you put alcohol in a fruit cake?
- 8 What can I use instead of alcohol in a fruit cake?
- 9 How long will a fruit cake last without alcohol?
- 10 What’s the secret to a moist cake?
- 11 What is the trick to a moist cake?
- 12 How long does homemade fruit cake last?
- 13 Can a fruit cake be too moist?
- 14 Why do you wrap a Christmas cake?
- 15 How do you wrap a fruit cake in the freezer?
How do you make a dry fruit cake moist?
Brush on a simple syrup: If you find your cake is a little dry, an easy fix is to brush syrup over the top of the cake. Simple syrup adds moisture and sweetness to any dry cake. You can also add a touch of flavor to this syrup with extracts or a squeeze of juice.
What alcohol is best for fruit cake?
Alcohol: medium sherry, dark rum, whisky, brandy or orange-flavoured liqueur are the usual flavours for fruit cakes.
How do you keep fruit cake moist?
Keep Your Cake Moist Along with setting your oven to the right temperature to ensure your fruit cake doesn’t end up unpleasantly dry, try adding a cup of applesauce to the batter. And to further prevent your cake from drying out, keep a pan of hot water on a lower rack in the oven to add moisture while it bakes.
How do you pack a fruit cake?
Wrap each cake in several layers of cheesecloth and then in plastic wrap. Store the cakes in airtight containers in a cool dry place, but not in the refrigerator or freezer. Check carefully at least once a week, as rich, moist cakes mould very easily.
Why did my fruit cake turn out dry?
Often, over-baking a fruit cake is the cause of dry fruit cakes. A fruit cake must be baked at the right temperature. The too-high oven temperature will dry the cake. Follow the recipe closely, including baking times.
How long do you need to soak fruit in alcohol?
How Long to Soak Fruit in Alcohol. For optimal flavors, you’ll want to soak your fruit in alcohol for around 3 hours. You can get away with soaking anywhere from an hour to overnight but I’ve found 3 hours is the best balance taste wise for an alcoholic fruit salad.
How do you put alcohol in a fruit cake?
Evenly pour 1.5 – 2 ounces of your favorite bourbon, rum, brandy, or cognac, over the fruitcake. For a quick way to measure, use a standard sized shot glass. Take care to pour slowly, allowing the liquor to absorb into the cake with minimal runoff.
What can I use instead of alcohol in a fruit cake?
If you do not want to use alcohol then fresh orange juice is an alternative, though you should leave the fruits in orange juice to soak overnight in the fridge once they have cooled.
How long will a fruit cake last without alcohol?
A virgin fruitcake (no alcohol) will last up to 1 month at room temperature, 6 months in the fridge, and 12 months in the freezer. If alcohol is added to the recipe, fruitcake can last much longer. However, the dried or candied fruit and nuts may start turning rancid after a couple of years.
What’s the secret to a moist cake?
I promise you SOFT & MOIST cakes!
- Use Cake Flour. Reach for cake flour instead of all-purpose flour.
- Add Sour Cream.
- Room Temperature Butter / Don’t Over-Cream.
- Add a Touch of Baking Powder or Baking Soda.
- Add Oil.
- Don’t Over-Mix.
- Don’t Over-Bake.
- Brush With Simple Syrup/Other Liquid.
What is the trick to a moist cake?
Add Vegetable Oil While butter will give you the best flavor, vegetable oil will make your cakes moister. I use a combination of salted butter and vegetable oil in all my cake recipes to get the most flavorful and moistest results. Vegetable oil stays a liquid at room temperature, while butter solidifies.
How long does homemade fruit cake last?
The U.S. Department of Agriculture says that fruitcake will last two to three months in the refrigerator without spoiling, and will maintain its quality if stored up to a year in the freezer.
Can a fruit cake be too moist?
Turn the cake over and try cutting out a small section from the centre. You may find that the cake is damp but still edible. If you feel it is too underdone to eat then you can cut the properly cooked outside pieces off and just discard the very wet centre.
Why do you wrap a Christmas cake?
For storage, wrap the cake in a second layer of foil or in an airtight tin. You can repeat the feeding process every couple of weeks for three or four feeds. However, if the cake makes the work surface damp, appears wet or stodgy, discontinue feeding.
How do you wrap a fruit cake in the freezer?
Wrap the fruit cake tightly in a double layer of freezer-safe plastic wrap. Wrap the a layer of aluminum foil around the the cake to further prevent air exposure and minimize freezer burn. Place the wrapped fruitcake in a 0-degree Fahrenheit freezer. Store the frozen fruitcake for up to 1 year.